Thursday, May 20, 2010

And then there were 12.

Yesterday afternoon, our little goat Happy was off by herself in the pasture, lying down among the swaying grass. I could just make out her horns off in the distance as she readied herself for her baby. I looked at my sweet little baby and told her that Happy was getting ready to be a Mom. Since this is our 6th new kid in four months, and since I've been paying attention to the workings of my animals, I've noticed that when these little mommies are ready to deliver, they go off by themselves, far away from the rest of the herd.

Sure enough, this morning Happy stood guarding her new little baby, a beautiful little white kid. So now we have twelve goats. Hmmmm... in January, we had seven goats. Then they started multiplying.  We really need to pause a moment and figure out this goat situation. They were there on the farm when we arrived and so they stayed. I think it's safe to say that we do not want 100 goats. At this rate, we might have that many by Fall. :) Time to take a long look at our Goat Future and make some tough decisions.

In the meantime, we'll enjoy looking at our little herd while staying out of the way of spiky horns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails